New York Subway Map with New Jersey transit systems, including Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, NY Waterway ferry, & PATH, by Stewart Mader.
What’s on the Map?
- Hudson-Bergen Light Rail – New Jersey: solid yellow lines. Operates 5AM-11PM.
- New York City Subway – New York: lines in multiple colors. Operates 24/7.
- New York Waterway Ferries – New York & New Jersey: light blue dotted lines. Operates 6AM-11PM.
- Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) – New York & New Jersey: bright blue lines. Operates 24/7.
- Staten Island Ferry – New York: light blue dotted line. Operates 24/7.
- Staten Island Railway New York (inset): solid, navy blue lines. Operates 24/7.
About the Map
The New York & New Jersey Subway Map is a comprehensive transit map for the largest US metro area, based on the design of the official New York Subway Map that influences the transit choices of over 2.4 billion annual riders. It integrates subway, light rail, regional rail, and ferry services provided by various transit agencies in the region to show all travel options, similar to maps in other global, peer cities, like Berlin, London, Philadelphia, and Tokyo.
Comprehensive, easy-to-use maps, apps, and journey planning tools influence whether we choose transit, which can reduce stress, ease congestion and pollution, and increase safety for everyone. For more information and resources on building world-class transit user experiences, check out the Transit Standards knowledge base on branding, digital strategy, and graphic standards for public transit. Traveling between New York & New Jersey? Download the official RidePATH app. Available for iOS & Android.
- One man’s mission to put New York’s secret subway back on the map – CityMetric
- NJ Man Leads Fight To Feature PATH Trains Prominently On The NYC Subway Map – Gothamist
- Putting Hoboken on the Map—Should NYC Have to Publicly Acknowledge the Existence of NJ? – hMAG
- Giving the PATH its Due: Hoboken Commuter Embarks on Campaign to Change NYC Subway Maps – Hoboken Patch
- You are here – Skylines, the CityMetric Podcast
- Should the NYC subway map include N.J.? This man thinks so, and he’s not alone – Star-Ledger
- Should the PATH be on the MTA’s subway map? – Transitism
- Review: Subway NY NJ by Stewart Mader – Transit Maps
- Endorsed by current and former mayors of Hoboken, NJ and Jersey City, NJ
For the Star-Ledger feature, I asked transit riders at New York’s Fulton Center subway station for their thoughts on the map. Video: Adya Beasley
In 2014, I appeared before the MTA Transportation Reinvention Commission to make the case for a comprehensive NY & NJ transit map.
Historically, geographically, and commercially New York and the industrial district in the northern part of the state of New Jersey constitute a single community. –Interstate Commerce Commission